SENIOR WATER SERVICE WORKER
SENIOR WATER SERVICE WORKER
- Position/Program Information
- COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKSTYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
APPLICATION FILING PERIODBeginning Tuesday, May 2, 2017 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST). This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and may closed at any time without advanced notice.
- Essential Job Functions
- A Senior Water Service Worker is responsible for performing a combination of the following essential job functions: leads, inspects, and participates in the work of a field crew engaged in the installation, maintenance, and repair of services connections, water mains, meters, fire hydrants, water tanks, and pumping plant equipment such as pumps and valves; oversees traffic control, trench and shoring, confined space, and all other safety practices at work sites to ensure the safe and effective protection of workers and the public; trains staff and monitors compliance with safety regulations and work practices; completes all applicable paper work such as daily reports and work orders, traffic control plans, trench excavation check sheets, meter exchange and installation sheets, maintenance records, and inspection notes and reports; performs water disinfecting, sampling, and testing; uses hydraulic, pneumatic, and hand tools to break pavement, drills, digs and backfills trenches, and repairs pavement; makes connections to existing water mains such as fire hydrants, valves, pipelines, and water service connections; cuts, threads, solders, fits pipe and leads others in this work; investigates and resolves routine and complex customer concerns, including shut off procedures and water quality complaints; responds to emergencies during normally scheduled time off and may work unscheduled shifts to meet emergency requirements; tests water meters in the field and makes minor adjustments and repairs; cleans water tanks, pipes, and pumping plant equipment; supervises the cleaning and maintenance of tools and equipment; inspects, maintains, repairs, and replaces disinfecting equipment; conducts technical inspections of water system improvements performed by private contractors; transports construction equipment to and from work sites; and drives vehicles or equipment with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more to and from work sites as needed.
- SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
Five years of experience in the installation, maintenance, or repair of water service facilities, one year of which must have been at the level of Los Angeles County's Class of Water Service Worker*. Experience in plumbing, steam fitting, or industrial pipe fitting work may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience.
A valid California Class C Driver license is required to perform job-related essential functions.
A valid California Class A Driver License may be required for appointment to some positions in this class.
A valid Water Treatment Operator Grade T1 Certificate and a valid Water System Distribution Operator Grade D3 Certificate issued by the California Department of Health Services may be required for appointment to this position.
License Information: All successful applicants for this position will be subject to driving record verification before being appointed. Driver License must not be suspended, restricted or revoked. AN APPLICANT WHOSE DRIVING RECORD SHOWS FOUR OR MORE MOVING VIOLATIONS WITHIN THE LAST TWO YEARS WILL NOT BE APPOINTED. Appointees may be required to provide automobiles and drive them in the County Service at the rate of compensation allowed by the Board of Supervisors.
The County is required to comply with the Federal regulations which require pre-employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to work, follow-up, and random urine drug and breath alcohol testing of employees who carry commercial driver licenses and who are assigned to drive certain vehicles.
Physical Class IV - Arduous: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION
*Experience at the level of Water Service Worker in the service of the County of Los Angeles is defined as: performs journey-level work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of water district systems and equipment.
Applicants MUST indicate the required license on the application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without indicating the required license may be rejected as incomplete.
All required certificates and licenses are subject to be verified at the time of appointment.
Some job positions in this classification may be required to perform functions where passing periodic specialized medical examinations is required by law such as for respirator use or confined space, asbestos operations, or pesticide application. Initial appointment and retention in such assignments may be contingent upon meeting such medical requirements.
- Additional Information
- EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of two parts:
Part I: A qualifying written test covering knowledge related to Water Quality Standard Requirements, Water District Standards Specifications, tools and equipment, operation of water systems, supervision and blueprint reading. Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the written test in order to proceed to Part II of the examination. THE WRITTEN TEST IS NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.
Part II: An interview covering training, experience, personal fitness, and general ability to perform the duties of the position weighted 100% .
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the interview in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Final results will be sent by U.S. postal mail. Test scores cannot be disclosed over the phone.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be added to the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
FINGERPRINTING AND SECURITY CLEARANCE: Before a final appointment is made to this position, candidates are subject to security clearance which includes fingerprinting. An individual may be withheld from appointment, if he/she has a conviction record incompatible with the essential duties of the position for which he/she has applied. Any false statement or omission of material fact may cause forfeiture of employment rights. Information presented on employment applications, resumes and during the examination process is subject to verification. Disqualifying factors may include but are not limited to: felony convictions, certain job-related misdemeanor convictions, certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations (e.g., 4 or more moving violations within the past 2 years, failure to appear, at-fault accidents, and driving under the influence), illegal use of certain controlled substances and/or poor employment history.
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill a vacancies in the Department of Public Works, Waterworks Division.
APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Fill out your application completely. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job.
The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Please be sure your application shows complete information, including dates for education and jobs held which relate to this position. In the space provided for education, include the names and addresses of schools attended, titles of courses completed, dates completed, and number of credits earned. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, description of work performed, and salary earned. All information supplied by applicants is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination or selection process.
- Please note that ALL information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
FILE USING ONE OF THE METHODS BELOW
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
We must receive your application by 5:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, on the last day of filing.
Note: if you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to (626) 979-5440 within fifteen (15) calendar days from filing. Please include your name, exam number, and exam title on the faxed documents.
FILING BY U.S. MAIL OR IN PERSON
We must receive your completed application at the address below by 5:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, on the last day of filing.
Department of Public Works
Human Resources Division
900 South Fremont Avenue, Lobby Floor
Alhambra, CA 91803-1331
Phone No.: (626) 458-2141
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday, ONLY, between 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Please note this office is closed on Fridays.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT LIBRARIES
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
Department Contact Name: Lorena Sepulveda
Department Contact Phone: (626) 458-2141
Department Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ADA Coordinator Phone: (626) 458-2141
Teletype Phone: (626) 282-7829
California Relay Services: (800) 735-2922
For detailed information, please click here
- County of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California, 90010