This listing closes on 3/24/2014 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time (US & Canada).
$3,841.00 - $4,801.00 Monthly
City Hall - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Closing date and time
3/24/2014 at 11:59 PM Mountain Time (US & Canada)
- Description / Position Overview
Learn about the City of Colorado Springs as an employer and what our beautiful city has to offer as a place to live and work by clicking on this link: http://www.springsgov.com/units/empservices/recruitment/candidate information packet.pdf. This information may change annually.As a Legislative Assistant, you will support City Council by performing a variety of professional and analytical duties.Typical Responsibilities
Examples of Job Competencies
- Research and analyze complex policy issues; prepare and present alternatives, legislation, and amendments to legislation to Council members and committees; draft amendments to proposed legislation; and prepare written reports
- Serve as an advisor to Council members by reviewing and evaluating existing and proposed legislation and make recommendations to shape policies that may have a significant impact on the City’s resources, priorities, and direction
- Coordinate and participate in Council meetings by overseeing department/agency presentations, obtaining additional information for Council members, and documenting Council direction
- Review and track requests for legislation
- Act as a technical expert on the City’s legislative process by providing guidance to Council members and others on legislative processes and procedures
- Recommend changes in procedures and processes to enhance the functioning of the legislative branch of the City and ensure that Council powers and duties granted are observed according to the Charter
- Compose technical work products such as Charter amendments, ordinances, and resolutions
- Proofread and edit the technical works of others
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of data collection, research, and report preparation
- Ability to interpret and apply pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations, as well as City policies and procedures
- Ability to collect, evaluate, and interpret complex information and data
- Ability to prepare clear and concise administrative reports
- Ability to communicate effectively through clear and concise writing and oral presentations
- Ability to effectively work with others in a fast-paced and production-oriented environment
- Ability to learn quickly, show initiative, and willingness to take on increasing levels of responsibility
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in political science, public policy, public administration, communications, sociology, or other related field.
Three years of full-time experience working in a research and communications intensive field including experience working with government processes.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree. Five years of experience working in a research and communications intensive field. Experience working in local government with elected officials or board members in a political environment.
- Additional Information
- Please visit www.springsgov.com on the Human Resources/City Jobs page to fill out an online application by clicking the City of Colorado Springs Job Openings – Apply Now button. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.****************************************************Equal Opportunity Employer
01Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university with major coursework in political science, public policy, public administration, communications, sociology, or any other field?
02Do you have three or more years of full-time experience working in a research and communications intensive field?
03Does the experience above include experience working with government processes?
04Do you have a master's degree, or higher?
05Do you have five or more years of experience working in a research and communications intensive field?
06Do you have experience working in local government with elected officials or board members in a political environment?
07Rate your proficiency using Microsoft Word.
08Rate your proficiency using Microsoft Excel.
09Do you have a relative who is employed in the department where you are applying to work?
10Are you currently a City of Colorado Springs municipal employee?
11By answering "yes" to this question, I understand the following: - My application may not be considered if it is not completed in full, which includes the entire work experience section. - I am to provide information for at least ten (10) years of my employment history (if applicable) under the work experience section of the application. - I am to provide all information requested even if not designated as a required field by NEOGOV's recruiting software. (This software could not be modified by Human Resources to require the completion of all fields.)
- Yes, my application is completed in full.
- No, my application is not completed in full.
* Required Question
- City of Colorado Springs
30 South Nevada Ave, Suite 702
Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903.
Warning! You are using Internet Explorer 8. Some features of the Online Application are not fully supported in this version. Please upgrade to a later version of Internet Explorer for optimal performance.